INTRODUCTION

जिल्हा सामाजीक व आर्थिक समालोचन 2012

Welcome to Jalna district.

Jalna district is approximately situated at the center part of
Maharashtra state of Republic of India and in northern direction of
Marathwada region. Specifically district lies between 19o1 north to
21o3 North Latitudes and 75o4 East to 76o4 East Longitude.

Jalna was formerly a part of Nizam State and after the Marathwada
Mukti Sangram,  became  part of India, as a tahsil of Aurangabad
district.

Jalna district erstwhile a part of Aurangabad district was formed on
1st May 1981 by carving out Jalna, Bhokardan, Jafrabad, Ambad
tahsils of Aurangabad district and Partur tahsil of Parbhani district.
The boundaries of Jalna district are adjacent to Parbhani &
Buldhana on east, Aurangabad on west, Jalgaon on north and  
Beed on south.
Jalna district covers an area of 7,612 Sq.Kms, which is 2.47% of the
total state area.

The district head quarter is at Jalna & well connected to state
capital and national capital by broad gauge railway line. Major
towns of the state are also connected by state highways. Jalna
district is well known for it's hybrid seed industries,  steel
re-rolling mills, bidi industry & agro based industries like dal mill.  
The district is also known for the highest production of Sweet 
Lemon(Mosambi) in the state.

The peoples of Jalna district played a important role in the
Marathwada Mukti Sangram, in which Shri. Janardan Mama
Nagapurkar of Jalna laid down his life for motherland.


JALNA

The Jalna city is situated on the banks of Kundalika river, (at
latitude 19o 50' 42" north and longitude 75o 56' 15" east) is the
premier commercial centre of the Marathvada region. It is the
headquarters of tahsil & district to which it gives its name and is
well served by a network of good roads connecting it not only with
the chief towns within the district, but also with centers of
commercial importance outside the district. It has the additional
advantage of being a railway station on the Manmad - Kacheguda
route.

Tradition ascribes the foundation of the town as far back as the
time of Rama, the hero of Ramayana, whose consort Sita is
supposed to have resided here. The local still point out the place
where Ramas palace stood. It was then known as Janakpur.   
Subsequently, as the desire of a wealthy Muhammedan merchant,
who is said to have been a great benefactor of the place, the name
was changed to Jalna, from his occupation of Julaha or weaver.

Jalna is a muncipal town and continues to be an impotant
handloom and powerloom weaving centre. Among the handloom
societies working on co-operative basis, the foremost is the
Markandeya Handloom weaving society having nearly 87 looms.
Like Aurangabad and Paithan, the town was once known for the
manufacture of fine gold and silver thread and silk textiles. There
are also cotton ginning and pressing factories and an agricultural
market produce committee handling large quantities of all kinds of
agricultural produce, including cotton. In view of the overall
industrial backwardness of the region, the state government has
initiated a master plan to encourage the establishment of of small
and large- scale industrial units. Under this plan Maharashtra
Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC)  has set up an  
industrial area in Jalna consistingh of ...large-scale, ...medium scale
and ..small scale industries. Jalna industrial area has a large
number of steel rolling mills, a unit manufacturing ball bearings,
agro based units like dal mills and most significant being large
number of seed manufacturing units; Mahyco, Mahindra, Bejo-Shital
are some of them. The MIDC has recently anounced to setup bio
technology park (BT Park) at Jalna with the help of  private sector
units. This park will give a tremendous boost to the BT sector in the
backward area of Marathvada.

Jalna being the headquarters of district, tahsil and industrial trade
centre, has the offices of District Collector, Zilla Parishad, & Supt Of
police besides District Court and various other govt. offices. It has
a well equiped Civil Hospital. Besides Jalna town also has a
missionary Hospital and an a most modern Eye Hospital namely
Ganapti Netralaya run by a private trust . Jalna has educational
facilities upto the post graduate level, primary & secondary
education being looked after by the Zilla Parishad. A large weekly
market is held on Tuesday at which cattle are also bought and
sold; in fact Jalna is one of the prominent cattle markets of the
region . The climate of Jalna is admirably suited for the cultivation of
the fruit trees, and the fruit gardens yield a large variety of
different kinds of fruits, including grapes of very fine and delicious
quality.

Jalna was surrounded by a mud and brick  wall but it is all in ruins
except two gates, knwon as the Murti Darwaza and the Hyderabad
gate. Jamshed Khan, the governor  during Malik Akbar's time
constructed a fine Masjid and a sarai, also the Moti Talav, a large
tank to the west of the town. A system of underground pipes
conveyed water to reserviors, in the town. the largest of which is in
quadraangle of the sarai. The system is no longer in working order.
When the city was at the height of its prosperity it had five tanks.
Jalna now derives its water supply mainly from the Jaikwadi Dam
and also Ghanevadi tank.

During Akbars time Jalna was held in as jagir by one of his
generals, and Abul Fazl has made it his residence for a short
period. Nizam -ul- Mulk Asaf Jah also favoured the town as being
more healthy than Aurangabad and it was he who ordered Kabil
Khan in 1725 to build the fort together with citadel situated to the
east of the town and which is today known as Mastgad. The citadel
is being  used to accomodate the muncipal offices. The fort is
quadrangular in shape,with semi circular bastions at the corners. It
is reported that the inner and the outer gates were constructed by
Asaf Jah himself in 1711and 1723, respectively. The citadel bears of
Persian inscription recording the date when it was constructed.  
Within the citadel is a large well containing a series of galleries and
chambers which are now filled up with rubbish.  At the entrance to
the well is a defaced inscription in Balbodh.  Subsequently a part of
Land revenue of Jalna was collected by the Marathas.  The place
has had frequent changes of masters.   For a long time, it was held
by one of the Shinde's  dependents, but shortly after the battle of
Udgir in 1760, a rival claimant from Pune endeavoured to seize it.   
A sanguinary conflict took place which resulted into the discomfiture
of the Pune sardar.  It was taken possession of by Colonel
Stevenson's Troops in 1803 in the famouse battle of Assaye, a
village in Jafrabad tahsil on the river of Juah located arround 10 K.M
east of Bhokardan .   After the extinction of the Maratha power, it
finally reverted to the Nizams of Hyderabad.  In 1855 it was the
scene of a conflict between the Rohilas and the Company's troops.  
After a stubborn conflict in which about 100 were killed or wounded
on both sides, the Rohilas surrendered.

[ The information is taken from the Gazeteer of India, Maharashtra State, Aurangabad District, Page No :
1018,1019,1020]

JAFRABAD

Jafferabad, the headquarters of the tahsil of the same name, is
situated at the confluence of the Khelna and the Purna rivers, in
latitude 20o 11'35" north, and longitude 76o3'35" east.  It is
surrounded by a fortified stone wall, now in a very dilapidated
state; but a small stone gadhi inside is in fair order.  The place
derived its name from its founder Jafar Khan, who held it along with
115 other villages in jagir from Aurangzeb, the Moghal Empeor.  
There are in all seven mosques and temples in Jafferabad.  The
principal mosque has a Persian inscription recording its construction
under the orders of Aurangzeb by Rizazath Khan in 1076 Hijri
(A.D.1664).  Within the fortifications there is a large handsome
watercistern with an inscription stating that it was built at the
command of Shah Jahan by Mustafa Khan, the Turkoman in Hijri
1040 (A.D.1630).  In connection with the principal temples of the
village, large annual fairs are held at which all kinds of household
utility goods are displayed for sale.  Jaffrabad has bi-weekly
markets on Tuesdays and Fridays.  There is a civil hospital, a post
office, and a rest house.   The village has educational facilities upto
the Junior College  stage.  It is connected by a branch road with
the Aurangabad-Jalgaon highway.

[ The information is taken from the Gazeteer of India, Maharashtra State, Aurangabad District, Page No :
1017,1018]


GHANSAWANGI

Ghansawangi is a Tahsil place in Jalna District.   From the broken
tanks and numerous dislapidated tombs which surround it,
Ghansavangi appears to have been a place of much importance in
the olden days.  In the north-west is a large open plain where at
one time it was contemplated to station the Hyderabad Subsidiary
Force.  An annual fair is held in honour of Narsimha.  The village has
a post office, educational facilities upto the middle school stage and
a medical dispensary.  Weekly market is held on Saturday.  Wells
are the source of drinking water.

[ The information is taken from the Gazeteer of India, Maharashtra State, Aurangabad District, Page No :
1015]

AMBAD

Ambad situated between a ridge of hills in 19o35'15" north latitude
and 75o50'7" east longitude is the headquarters of the tahsil of
the same name.  It lies along Jalna-Gevrai road the former place
being the principal commercial centre in the Marathvada region.

Matsyodari Temple

Ambad is a municipal town and Tahsil & it appears that once it
enjoyed great prosperity, the marks of which are still seen in the
decayed stonebuildings and ruined walls and gateways.  A local
tradition ascribes the foundation of the town to a Hindu Raja by
name Amba Rishi who being weary of the cares of running the
Government went and settled in a cave in a hill to the east of the
town.   This site is now occupied by a shrine dedicated to goddess
Matsyodari, so called because the hill resembles the shape of a fish
(matsya).  It is believed to be one of the oldest temples in the
region.  A largely attended annual fair is held at the temple in
October.

Khandoba Temple

The town also contains a temple of Khandoba and a masonry Kund
(tank), both of which were constructed by that pious and
philanthropic queen, Ahilyabai Holkar, about the end of the
eighteenth century.  The structure to Khandoba has three temples
joined together an arrangement often found in the south, but
rarely in the north, and capable of giving a greater variety of effect
of light and shade than is observed, in plainer forms.  The shrine is
surrounded by a stone-wal and has a gallery all round.  The
entrance is surmounted by a nagarkhana or chamber for
temple-musicians.  The courtyard has an iron-pillar on either side,
besides a figure of a lion standing on four small elephants, with a
fifth elephant in its mouth.  Some finely sculptured images are seen
scattered about inside.  The shrine is crowned by three large
shikhars in a line, with a small one at either end.  They are built of
bricks and are variously ornamented.  None of these shikhars are
alike.  The village has also a masonry kund believed to have been
built by Ahilyabai Holkar.  It has fallen into ruins.

Among the cults prevailing in the region the one espoused by
Svami Ramanand, a devotee of Rama, claims a considerable
following Svami Ramanand, originally from Gondi village near
Ambad, made Ambad his abode and preached his doctrines.
Achhutashram Svami was his chief disciple.  The memory of
Ramanand Swami is highly revered in and around Ambad.

[ The information is taken from the Gazeteer of India, Maharashtra State, Aurangabad District, Page No :
933,934]

BADNAPUR

Badnapur is a Tahsil in Jalna District.  It is situated on the right
bank of the Dudhna about ten miles west of Jalna.  It is here that a
meeting took place between General Wellesley and Colonel
Stevenson at which the plan of operations for attacking the
Marathas, two days before the battle of Assaye, was drawn up.  
Amidst a grove of trees, a short distance to the north-east of the
village, stands a dargah to Mir Gulam Shah.  Badnapur has a
medical dispensary, a post office and a rest house, besides the
usual educational facilities.  A weekly market is held on Fridays.  
The village is accessible both by road and the railway. The Dudhna
and wells are the sources of water supply.

[ The information is taken from the Gazeteer of India, Maharashtra State, Aurangabad District, Page No :
961]

BHOKARDAN

Bhokardan is the principal town of the tahsil of the same name,
settled along the right bank of the Khelna river, a tributary of the
Purna in latitude 20o16' north and longitude 75o46'56" east.  It is
situated on the road to Jafferabad which takes off from the
Aurangabad-Jalgaon highway at Sillod.  The town is also connected
with Jalna the principal commercial centre of the Marathvada
region.  Tradition relates that a powerful king by name Bhomasur
reigned here once and who maintained a large harerm containing
about 17,000 females.   He had forcibly taken possession of these
females from various parts of his territory.  His subjects apealed to
Krishna to save them, upon which he assembled a large army and
defeated and killed Bhomasur thus releasing the females.  
Bhagadnath, a son of Krishna, was raised to the throne and the
capital place was named after him which subsequently corrupted
into Bhokardan.

In 1852 the Patel of a village named Javla enraged at the
deprivation of his appointment collected a force of 300 Arabs and
Rohilas and attacked Bhokardan, but was bought off.  About seven
years later he again attacked the town which was defended by the
naib and was bought off a second time.  The Rohilas were
occasionally troublesome after this.  They were finally subdued by a
contingent force of 500 men and 2 guns sent from Aurangabad.

Bhokardan is surrounded by a ruined wall.  There is an inner citadel
which served to house the offices of the tahsildar and other minor
officials.  The marks of its former prosperity are discernible in the
solid masonry walls which have collapsed for the most part, while
the bands of earth scattered round the town mark the sites of
once beautiful fruit and vegetable gardens.  The manufactures
consist of coarse blankets or kambals coarse cloth and coarse
brown sugar.  A weekly market is held on every Saturday.  The
town has eight small temples and two mosques.   Three fairs are
held annually, the largest being the one held at the temple to
Khandoba.  About half a mile from the town on the left bank of the
Khelna, are the ruins of a Mahanubhav temple.  Below the temple
there are some caves in the river bank but they are all blocked up
with silt and rubbish.  The town has the tahsildar's office, a
panchayat samiti or block development office and a police station.

[ The information is taken from the Gazeteer of India, Maharashtra State, Aurangabad District, Page No :
962,963]

The Lord Ganesha of Rajur
Tq : Bhokardan


Welcome to JALNA District